Carina Dantas, coordinator of SIRENE, will join a COST Programme entourage at the United Nations General Assembly events, in New York, USA, between 12 and 15 September 2023.
Some of the programme highlights are:
- An informal networking reception hosted at the European Union Delegation to the United Nations, to highlight the contribution of COST Actions to the United Nations’ objectives;
- The session “Expanding scientific frontiers via international cooperation and networking”, with COST Director and the National Science Foundation USA on the Science Summit of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA78).
A new concept was created in 2017, based on the desire to implement SHAFE, fostering happier and healthier people in all communities. SHAFE implemented through the COST Action NET4Age-Friendly was recognised as an SDG good practice by the United Nations and currently reaches over 550 members in 50 countries, being also the conceptual basis for some EU-funded projects, such as SIRENE.
The first event where they will be featured is the networking social event that COST is organising and will take place on the 13th of September evening from 17:30 pm at the European Union Delegation to the United Nations in New York.The COST Actions present at the event will be:
- COST Action International Network to Encourage the Use of Monitoring and Forecasting Dust Products (InDust). Resulting in the UN General Assembly declaring 12 July the International Day of Combating Dust Storms – represented by Dr Slobodan Nickovic, the Action Vice Chair.
- COST Action International Interdisciplinary Network on Smart Healthy Age-friendly Environments (NET4Age-Friendly), recognized as good practice in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Goals. NET4Age-Friendly, recognized by the United Nations as a good practice! – represented by Ms Carina Dantas, the Action Chair.
- COST Action Marine Animal Forest of the world (MAF-WORLD) officially endorsed by the UN Decade of the Ocean Program as a UN Ocean Decade Action Marine Animal Forest of the World endorsed by the UN Ocean Decade – Ocean Decade – represented by Dr Sergio Rossi, the Action Chair.
- The COST Action Globalization, Illicit Trade, Sustainability and Security (GLITSS), will seize this moment to engage with relevant UN stakeholders, led by Prof Aleksandar Marsavelski, Action co-Vice Chair.
New York based researchers and scientists are welcomed to join and attendance will be possible by invitation only RSVP by email to email@example.com.
Additionally, on the 15th of September 2023, COST is co-organizing a session entitled “Expanding scientific frontiers via international cooperation and networking”, with the US National Science Foundation AccelNET Program, as part of the Science Summit at the 78th United Nations General Assembly (UNGA78), in New York City, USA.
This year’s summit objective is to raise awareness of the role and contribution of science and innovation to attaining the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The session aims to highlight international scientific networking and how global cooperation in research can help expand scientific frontiers and accelerate progress towards achieving breakthrough scientific results, using examples from two funding schemes, COST Programme and US National Science Foundation AccelNet Program.
This in-person session will take place on Friday 15th of September 2023 from 09.00 to 12.00 EDT. Details of the agenda and full list of speakers can be found here.
Registration is required through the Science Summit at UNGA78’s website.